Wondering how to hire a good content writer for your business?
Are you planning to hire a professional content writer for your business?
Your decision to hire a professional content writer is one of the most important business decisions you are ever going to make.
Because it is the writing on your website that decides whether your business is going to grow (due to a higher conversion rate), stagnate, or go under.
No, I’m not being alarmist.
Writing on your website is just like when people come to your office and then you need to talk to them to convince them into becoming your customers or clients.
The writing does the same thing.
Hence, if you cannot convince them, they don’t become your customers or clients.
The content writer helps you convince them through his or her professional, to-the-point, and above all, engaging content writing and copywriting.
Why you need to hire a professional content writer for your business website
If you totally understand the overwhelming significance of the text on your website, it is but natural that you would like to hire somebody who is not only proficient in writing, but who can also create content that reflects the image of your business, engages your customers and clients and articulates your message in such a manner that it hits the nail.
How to hire a good content writer for your business?
Although there are multiple benefits of hiring a professional content writer, it is easier said than done.
There are thousands of content writers on the Internet and many of them are quite good.
But there are also some who are not that good.
And there are some who are outright awful (and strangely, have good search engine visibility).
Anyway, the point is you would like to hire a good content writer, a capable, professional person who can really deliver.
It will help if you yourself know the importance of writing and what impact it can have on your business.
Because if you don’t recognize the importance, the same lack of seriousness is going to reflect through your choice of the content writer.
Listed below are some outstanding benefits of publishing compelling content on your website:
- Increased website traffic.
- Higher search engine rankings.
- Improved brand visibility.
- Enhanced credibility and trust.
- Greater audience engagement.
- Increased social media shares.
- Improved conversion rates.
- Expanded customer base.
- Establishing thought leadership.
- Building customer loyalty.
- Increased brand recognition.
- Strengthening customer relationships.
- Generating leads and sales.
- Providing valuable information to users.
- Educating and informing your audience.
- Addressing customer pain points.
- Encouraging repeat visits to your website.
- Creating opportunities for partnerships.
- Establishing a competitive edge.
- Demonstrating expertise and knowledge.
There are some obvious benchmarks that you can look for before taking a decision. Some of them are listed below.
Hiring a good content writer: Being a good writer is a must
Anybody who can write a paragraph calls himself or herself a “content writer” these days.
People can write great Facebook posts and even awe-inspiring Instagram messages, but can they motivate you enough to spend your money on their business?
I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound condescending, but writing content is not about your ability to write, it’s about how well you write, or how well you express yourself and how convincingly you can convey your client’s message to his or her audience. Writing in a convincing manner takes more than being able to write.
Here are a few fundamental characteristics to consider when hiring a professional content writer:
- Strong writing skills: An experienced content writer possesses excellent writing abilities with a good command of grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Versatility: They can adapt their writing style to suit different audiences, industries, and platforms.
- Research skills: They know how to conduct thorough research to gather accurate and relevant information for their content.
- Creativity: They can think outside the box and generate unique ideas to create engaging and original content.
- Attention to detail: They pay close attention to spelling, grammar, and formatting to ensure error-free and polished content.
- Understanding of SEO: The benefits of hiring a professional content writer are that they are familiar with search engine optimization techniques and can incorporate relevant keywords seamlessly into their writing.
- Organization: They can effectively organize their thoughts and present information in a logical and coherent manner.
- Time management: They are skilled at meeting deadlines and can efficiently manage their time to complete projects on schedule.
- Adaptability: They can quickly grasp new concepts and adapt to changing trends, allowing them to write about a wide range of topics.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills: They can self-edit their work and spot errors in grammar, style, and structure before submitting the final piece.
- Audience awareness: They understand the target audience and can tailor their content to meet their needs and expectations.
- Clear communication: They can convey complex ideas in a clear and concise manner, making the content easily understandable for the readers.
- Collaboration: They are comfortable working with editors, clients, and other stakeholders, taking feedback and incorporating it into their work.
- Curiosity and continuous learning: They have a natural curiosity that drives them to explore new topics and stay up-to-date with industry trends.
- Strong storytelling abilities: They can weave narratives that captivate readers, keeping them engaged throughout the content.
You need to be passionate about your writing.
You need to believe in what you are writing.
Of course I will be pretending if I tell you that I strongly believe in the business for which I’m writing, but this is where your writing skills help you.
It’s like writing a story.
Suppose you are writing a story involving an intergalactic plot.
It doesn’t mean that you need to be a space traveler to write the story.
You should just be able to imagine yourself travelling from one galaxy to another in pursuit of a villain out to annihilate the entire cosmos.
Not always, but experience of your content writer definitely counts
Here is another factor on how to hire a good content writer for your business.
Malcolm Gladwell says that it takes you 10,000 hours of practice to make you a master.
What does that say?
It says that experience matters.
Your content writer doesn’t necessarily require an experience of ten thousand hours to be able to write excellent content or copy for you, but by the end of the day, it helps if he or she has written for many clients.
The more varied content writing assignments your content writer has worked on, better equipped he or she is to do justice to your work.
Experience tells us what to do and what not to do, what to embrace and what to avoid, and especially as a content writer, it tells you what language works and what doesn’t in terms of conversion rate as well as search engine rankings.
I’m updating this web page after a few years and I have already made lots of changes – the changes that I have learnt during all these years.
I’m surprised that during my additional updates, I never paid attention to optimizing this web page for search queries such as “hiring a good content writer”, “hiring a professional content writer”, or “benefits of hiring a professional content writer”.
The way I make a list of a few keywords to focus on, surprisingly, I never create such a list for my own web pages and blog posts.
I have removed or changed the words and expressions I wouldn’t use now.
I have shortened the paragraphs.
I have restructured many sentences.
I have incorporated certain keywords that I ignored previously.
A novice writer might be a prodigy but if he or she goes on his or her own literary tangent without paying heed to your business concerns you’re not getting your money’s worth.
How to hire a good content writer for your business: Does your content writer have enough time for you?
This is one of the main reasons why I don’t appreciate working with clients looking for “excellent work at cheapest rates” because this doesn’t leave me enough time to do my best.
Let me tell you if you are planning on hiring a professional content writer, quality content writing takes time.
It is serious stuff.
Your business depends on it.
So, you want to work with a content writer who spends ample amount of time on individual word, individual sentence and individual paragraph.
Since your business is serious for you, so is your content.
Hire a professional content writer keeping that in mind.
If all I’m worried about is how much work I can do in the next 60 minutes my focus is definitely not going to be the quality of your content.
On the other hand, if I’m free to spend as much time as required on your assignment I can definitely deliver great work.
So first, make sure that your content writer has enough time for you, and second, create an environment that he or she should be able to give their time to you.
Don’t act miserly.
If your budget is small, go for less content but don’t make your content writer create 50 pages if your budget allows just 10.
If you get approached by such writers ($ 5 per article types) avoid them if you are really serious about the quality of your content because they are definitely not going to have enough time for you.
Just do the math.
If they are offering to write you an article or a blog post in five dollars, you can very well imagine how seriously they take their writing, and your work.
As a content writer you are hiring have a vibrant online presence?
Well, this is not necessary, but it can help you gauge the abilities of your content writer.
Does he or she publish a regular blog?
Is he or she active on Twitter and other social networking websites?
No, I’m not saying that you should go for a writer who spends most of his or her time on social networking and doesn’t have much time for professional commitments, it’s just that his or her public profiles can give you some insight into the ways he or she likes to communicate and express himself or herself.
Is your content writer communicative?
When hiring a good content writer, make sure they communicate fast.
Fast communication is very critical when you are working on the Internet because often you don’t meet people face to face.
Then there is also the time difference.
You might be sleeping when your content writer is working or frolicking with the birds.
Unless there are crunch times, these things don’t matter but your content writer should be able to respond fast, at least within eight hours if you have a concern.
If each time you write to him or her and he or she responds after two days there is going to be some problem.
Finally, how much can you spend on your content writer?
Your content writer needs to make a living, whether he lives in India, Philippines, Paris, Ghana or London.
When trying to find out how to hire a good content writer for your business, it is vital to know how much you can, or how much you are ready to pay (both can be different).
With some research you can easily find out what the industry standards are and pay accordingly.
You can find content writers for every conceivable rate – some will also work for free.
You have to decide what you’re looking for.
If you’re getting a great content writer for peanuts, great for you.
But if you’re compromising on quality just to cut cost believe me, it is going to cost you more eventually.
Disadvantages of hiring an unprofessional content writer:
- Poor grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Lack of understanding of the subject matter.
- Inaccurate or outdated information.
- Inconsistent writing style and tone.
- Lack of research and depth in content.
- Inability to meet deadlines.
- Limited creativity and originality.
- Overuse of clichés and generic phrases.
- Ineffective storytelling and engagement.
- Weak organization and structure.
- Incoherent flow and transitions.
- Inappropriate language or tone for the target audience.
- Inadequate proofreading and editing.
- Insufficient knowledge of SEO and keyword optimization.
- Failure to adhere to brand guidelines and requirements.
Most of the businesses cannot take off because they don’t invest much in content.
Although they know hiring a good content writer is essential to their business success, somehow, they are not convinced.
On the Internet they may have read about the benefits of hiring a professional content writer, but they want their business to magically do well without content.
This is a reality, whether you realize it right now, after a few months, or after a few years.
Basically it’s the value you must pay for and not for documents and words.
On this web page you have read about hiring a professional content writer, and also about the benefits of hiring a good content writer.
Documents and words don’t matter, what matters is how well you engage your audience.
It’s the ability of your content to get you more business that finally decides its value for you.
Pay according to that.
Hiring a good content writer is going to be one of the most important business decisions you make because no matter how snazzy a website you get for yourself and how awesome the product or service you offer, unless you can communicate to your visitors through your content, nothing really matters.