In plain words SEO content is content that improves your search engine rankings. Now, it is not as simple as it seems because a lot goes into creating SEO content and consequently improving your search engine rankings.
SEO content primarily constitutes of the following efforts
- Creating high-quality and relevant content
- Using appropriate keywords and key phrases while creating content
- Publishing content on a regular basis
- Formatting content in such a manner that it makes it easier for search engine crawlers to quickly make out what you’re trying to convey and what are your primary keywords
Aside from these there might be other efforts too but they are not mutually exclusive as the ones mentioned above.
8 Steps to creating SEO content
- Researching your audience before creating SEO content: It is very important to thoroughly research your audience before you set up on creating SEO content for your own website or for your client’s website. Unless you know your audience it will be difficult to make out what your visitors are looking for and what sort of language they use in order to find your product or service on search engines.
- Compiling a comprehensive list of keywords and key phrases for your SEO content: Relevance is very important for your SEO content and equally important is the choice of your keywords. You need to be extremely careful because a couple of wrong choices here and couple of wrong choices there can have long-term negative SEO implications. Know your words before creating your content.
- Using keywords and key phrases in your title: Whether it is a blog post title or a webpage title it is very important that you use your primary keywords and key phrases in it. The search engine ranking algorithms take your webpage title very seriously, in fact so seriously that your webpage title appears as a hyperlink on the search engine result pages.
- Focusing on a single key phrase: Don’t try to accommodate 20 different keywords and key phrases into one page, that won’t work. Decide on a single phrase and focus on that. This not only improves your search engine rankings for that particular phrase it also helps you keep your writing focused and well organized.
- Organizing your SEO content using appropriate headings, subheadings and bullets: These are the places where the search engine crawlers look for your keywords and key phrases first of all. The information contained within these tags should be able to convey a fair idea of exactly what you are trying to say.
- Using as much interlinking as possible: Interlinking means hyperlinking to other useful resources on your website. Within your hypertext (text between <a> and </a>) use the keywords; it increases their importance.
- Avoiding excessive use of keywords and key phrases while creating SEO content: This can be counter-productive and it can also get your website or particular webpages penalized by various search engines. In fact this is one of the biggest tests of a professional SEO content writer – knowing to what extent one can use keywords and key phrases.
- Keeping your SEO content as relevant as possible: Eventually it is the message that you convey and how you convey that matters. No matter how much traffic your SEO content can draw from the search engines, if it cannot convert visitors into customers and clients it is of no value.
So this is how you define SEO content. Creating SEO content is not as cryptic as it might sound in the beginning. All you have to do is stick to your core topic and concentrate on quality.